Challenge Statement for Food Security
Theme: Creating a sustainable ecosystem promoting food circulation
Capture the coming era
In 2050, the world will face a food crisis due to the increase of global population.
At the same time, urbanization will accelerate by 2050 which will lead to the decrease of workers in primary industry. Food security is an urgent issue to work on since it is an essential need for humans to live.
Even thou the issue of food security today, most of the primary industry rely on inefficient human labor for production. On top of this, the impact of climate change is significant that unbalanced production is predicted, and natural disasters will cast a shadow over food security of poor crops / poor catches. Food production will not be able to keep up with population growth if nothing changes.
Ensuring the safety of people engaged in the primary industry is another issue necessary to solve for sustainable food access. At the primary industry field, accidents using machines occur, which implant an image as a dangerous workplace with heavy labor.
Automation by connecting machines and digital technology in the primary industry is an important factor in achieving sustainable food access.
In addition, to achieve food security and sustainable production, reprocessing waste food and recirculating them for consumption is also an area to be attention.
Well-being model will be created by circulation of "production" and "consumption" by ensuring the safety of all people involved in the food industry featured by an environment-friendly and co-existent society with nature.
The purpose of Co-Creation
To ensure secure food access, restriction from the climate change and natural disaster will be important factor for sustainability of safe and stable production.
In the primary industry which is operated manually shall achieve sustainable production by mechanizing dangerous and hard labor scenes applying sensing technology, digitalization, and robotics.
Driving the future in which producers and machines collaboration, contributing to building food ecosystem consist with the economic and environmental chain.
Potentials for the future
In this challenge, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. would like to high-light on the following strengths cultivated over years in research and development, and manufacturing sites.
- The knowledge is accumulated by contributing to the design and manufacture of hydraulic equipment controls the heart of agricultural machinery and construction machinery, and the design and manufacture of hydraulic systems that can withstand severe environments such as dusty areas, extremely cold regions, and deep seas. After-sales service is also one of our strengths. We may propose a solution from the viewpoint of utilizing heavy machinery with hydraulic systems for the issue of labor shortage and others in food supply.
- In recent years, development of hydraulic actuators for humanoid robots have been a focused area. By utilizing this hydraulic actuator technology with a new partner, we may build an ecosystem of collaboration for humans and robots together and to replace the dangerous and heavy duty with machinery for the future of the well food supply chain from the production to consumption.
- Furthermore, we may also apply a wide range of elemental technologies from products other than hydraulic systems, such as automation control for industrial machineries, steering gear, winches, and camera stabilizer on ships, to automate machines in the primary food industry. By applying these technologies as an option, we aim to reduce the workload in severe environment and ensure safety.
Partners expecting for Co-Creation
- Players and autonomous regions who have challenges in food production and consumption.
- Players who have an idea to connect machines to software in food production and consumption activities, yet it is under development as a solution.
- Players who are working for food waste, and considering new solutions of machines and software technologies for reproduction of waste to valuable consumption.
Assets provided by the Organizer
Global customer & supplier networks
In the fields of construction machinery, industrial machinery, and marine machinery, we have built solid relationship of trust by providing products and solutions to customers all over the world for past 100+ years. In addition, we have a supply chain and a network of dealers that have closely cooperated in the design, SI, and sales of hydraulic equipment to achieve the above.
Co-create with innovative technologies and ideas of co-creation partners in the primary food industry, incorporate them into hardware, and propose comprehensive solutions to the world together.
Knowledge and achievements regarding the utilization of electro-hydraulic actuator
Electro-hydraulic actuator achieve large propulsion and high-speed operation with a single unit which has excellent "environmental resistance" for high impact and uncleanness.
Electro-hydraulic actuator is mounted into the legs of our humanoid robots with the advantage of hydraulic for robotics and automation to propose comprehensive solutions of safety and security for primary food industry.
Hydro Static Transmission (HST)
Hydro Static Transmission(HST) system is a continuously variable transmission responsible to run construction machinery and agricultural machinery.
Our highly efficient and powerful driving as well as smooth driving feelings are implemented by specially designed hydraulic application and an optimally controlled controller.
Our HST system contributes to this important factor of feeling for machinery which works as human limbs.
The Camera Stabilizer restrains the movement of the optical axis and keeps image clear of the camera on board even during the turbulence and oscillation of the ship.
Not only hydraulic applications and systems, but also, we apply electrical and electronical technologies for automation to reduce the workload and ensure the safety at workplace.
Marine Machinery (Steering Gear, Deck Machinery)
Deck Machinery is to winds up anchor and Steering Gear is to handle the maneuvering of a ship.
We Support ships around the world with product design and manufacturing technology with the continuous after-sales service for safe and secure operation over long voyages.
Wide range of manufacturing achievement and know-hows in industrial machinery
In the field of industrial machinery, we have a track records of delivering high-pressure, large-capacity hydraulic systems that perform highly accurate speed, position, and pressure control in a wide range of fields such as electric power, steelmaking, and forging.
These knowledge shall also be utilized in equipment used in the primary industry to contribute to the construction of high-precision control systems.
Professional team of mechanical and electrical technology
High reliability and high performance are supported by highly advanced analysis and control technologies which meets the requirement for components and systems at an early stage.
- Analysis technology: FEM, CFD, Dynamic Behavior Analysis, etc.
- Control technology: State Feedback Control, Automatic Adaptive Control, IoT compatible, etc.